Our winery is situated at the heart of the wine growing area of Oltradige in the Rungg district of Cornaiano at 470 meters a.s.l. Our family have owned the winery for over 170 years. Great-grandfather Josef Niedrist was very successful in developing the vineyard and marketing the wine.
The early 1920s brought abrupt change to the political situation in the region and the commercial situation for the winery. After the First World War, South Tyrol became Italian under the terms of the Treaty of Versailles, and grandfather died at an early age in 1922. Grandmother Antonia Abraham Niedrist managed to keep the winery running for many years in the difficult interwar period before she was finally forced to stop producing wine.
In 1989 we, Ignaz and Elisabeth Niedrist, reactivated the winery with the clear objective of producing quality bottled wines.
In wine-growing families, it is not unusual for marriage to bring significant change to the business. In our case, the area under cultivation was increased significantly in size and variety through the addition of the Mühlweg and Rungg sites in Cornaiano and Untersteiner in Appiano Monte – to which must be added the Lagrein site cultivated under a long-term lease in the Gries district of Bolzano, on the farmland owned by Elisabeth Berger Niedrist’s parents.
Not only the winery has changed over the years: With Maria, Franz and Johannes Niedrist, a new generation is now growing up...